Teaching your child to swim is not only a great way to meet new friends and take part in fun activities, it's also the only sporting activity that can save your child's life. All of our lessons are taught according to the Swim England ‘Learn to Swim’ Pathway. This incorporates the Pre-school framework, Learn to Swim framework and the Adult Swimming framework.
Our swimming lessons scheme is available at Queens Park Health & Fitness and Newton-le-Willows Health & Fitness. We are confident that our lessons not only offers value for money but will also produce pupils who are confident, skilful and above all, safe.
Through the scheme, we aim to:
• Maintain a high quality of swimming instruction
• Deliver a varied programme to suit all levels and abilities
• Encourage skilful and competent stroke technique
• Teach water safety and make pupils aware of the dangers of water
• Provide the opportunity to progress and obtain life saving qualifications
• Liaise with parents/customers on a regular basis
• Identify any child who has potential and guide them to the appropriate coaching environments within aquatic clubs
We offer an all-inclusive programme which takes the non-swimmer from their first splash to developing confidence and competence in water.
Pre School Sessions
Parent & Toddler - From birth to 3. These are informal sessions with an instructor available to get your child used to the water.
These are on a Friday at 9:00am-10:00am at Queens Park Health & Fitness. The cost is £5.20 per child, and you just turn up on the day, no booking required.
Discovery Ducklings - Parent and toddler structured swimming lesson with the parent in the water.
These are at Newton-le-Willows Health & Fitness.
Learn To Swim Sessions
- Swimmers will develop basic movement skills, water confidence and safety awareness. Don't forget the swimmers will be able to use aids e.g. arm bands and floats to help complete all outcomes at this stage.
- Swimmers will develop safe entries to the water including jumping in, floating practices, rotation skills and be able to travel over a distance of 5m in the water on their front and back without aids.
- Swimmers will work towards being able to swim 10m on their front and back and will be able to fully submerge to pick up objects from the bottom of the pool. Rotation skills and water safety knowledge will also be developed.
- Swimmers will develop a better understanding of buoyancy through a range of skills, refining kicking techniques for all four strokes and swimming 10m on one stroke to a given standard as directed by Swim England.
- Swimmers will focus on swimming all four strokes to the Swim England expected standards over a distance of 10m. Swimmers will also develop skills in sculling, treading water and complete rotation.
- Swimmers will focus on developing effective swimming skills including co-ordinated breathing for all four strokes, water safety and an understanding of how to prepare for exercise.
- By the end of this stage swimmers will have developed quality stroke techniques up to 100m, incorporating skills learnt and combining them to develop a linked routine and an obstacle course that combines a variety of skills accomplished throughout Stages 1-7.
Parent & Toddler - Friday at 9-10am at Queens Park.
Discovery Duckling -
These are at Newton Le willows.
Saturday 10:30am- 11am
Learn To Swim
- Monday to Friday from 3.40pm
- Saturday from 9:15am
- Sunday from 9:15am
This is dependent on the availability of stages and times at each site.
Children's swimming lessons are delivered on a rolling programme that allows pupils to join at any stage and progress at their own pace. We offer lessons for birth upwards. With 0-3 year olds going into our Parent and Toddler or Discovery Ducklings.
Lessons operate for 50 weeks of the year with a 2 week gap in lessons over the Christmas period.
At the moment we operate on a waiting list, if you wish to join our lessons, please fill out the enquiry form and we will be in touch when there is space.
When we have space we will invite your child down for a swim assessment to determine the child’s stage.
All children's swimming lessons are payable via direct debit, meaning once you're set up, all you need to do is turn up to lessons with your children.
- £21.65 per month SwimSkool membership - Direct Debit
(Swimming lessons only)
- £26.50 per month ActiveCoach membership - Direct Debit
(One swimming lesson and one coaching session per week plus unlimited public swimming)
Direct debit payments come out on the 1st of the month. An initial pro-rata payment will be required when setting the direct debit up.
We have a team of swimming coaches and advisors here to help.
Fill in our online form to start your child swimming journey and we will contact you as soon as a space is available.
We will invite you down for a swimming assessment to determine which stage your child is in.
Here at Go Active, we use the most up to date technology, allowing you to track your child’s progress from home.
Our online portal allows you to see your child’s assessment progress.
If you haven't received information about home portal, please speak to the receptionist or email LTSgoactive@sthelens.gov.uk
Please be aware that this is an assessment of the child, and not a representation of the skills they practice each week.
Adult Swim Clinics
Our adult swimming clinics are an informal session, that allows you to speak to our instructors to develop your swimming ability. You don’t have to know how to swim, our team will help you to get rid of the fear or water.
Times of Adult Swim Clinics;
Newton-Le-Willows Health & Fitness
- Sunday 9:00am – 9:30am
Queens Park Health & Fitness
- Tuesday 8:30pm - 9:30pm
- Friday 10:30am - 11:30am
We know that getting in the pool with a health condition can be difficult, check out our fact sheets from Swim England that show you the benefits of swimming.
What can I do after Learn to Swim?
We have several swim clubs that train across our Go Active facilities. Currently, we have the following clubs across Go Active:
Prescott Swim Squad Squad: Coach Helen Billington
St Helens Swimming Club: Head Coach, Dave Percy
Ashton Central Swimming Club
is a competitive club which came into being in 1978 and is entirely run by volunteers.
The main aim of the club is to teach swimming within a safe and secure environment enabling members to reach their full potential, and allow swimmers to compete at the highest level.
We hold trials on a Friday evening at Newton pool. Interestedfirstname.lastname@example.org
Newton-Le-Willows Swimming ClubNewtonlewillowsASC@hotmail.com
To support youngsters interested in swimming competitively we will also help your child with their aquatic aspirations by working with community swimming clubs.
Our RLSS (Royal Life Saving Society) UK's rookie lifeguard programme gives your child the skills they need to be confident in the pool or in the sea.
Our Rookie Programme runs as follows:
Newton-Le-Willows Health & Fitness
- Monday 7:00pm - 7:30pm
Queens Park Health & Fitness Tuesdays
- 7:30pm - 8:00pm - Bronze and Silver stages
- 8:00pm - 8:30pm - Gold stage
Our Guide To Swimming Lessons
With over 2,000 children on our lesson programme across our sites, our preferred method of communication is by email. This will enable us to contact you immediately when:
- Your child has been booked into a class.
- Your child has been awarded an achievement award.
- Your child is ready to move into the next stage.
- We experience last minute swimming lesson cancellations and facility closures.
Please ensure details are up to date so we are able to contact you immediately.
Child Admission Policy
The Management reserves the right to amend programmed activities without prior notice.
Last entry: 30 minutes prior to pool closing.
When attending swimming with children, the following ratios must be adhered to:
- An adult must accompany children aged under 4 on a 1:1 ratio
- An adult must accompany children aged between 4 & 7 on a 2:1 ratio
Could all patrons please respect local residents property and driveways.